Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, September 7, 2015

Star Cakes Shortcut Quilt for Fat Quarter Shop

Good Morning! Megan and I were asked by  Fat Quarter Shop to create their new quilt, Star Cakes Shortcut Quilt. I actually made a mini quilt, but hope to make the full quilt soon!

Here is the link to Fat Quarter Shops video tutorial, I love these videos, full of little shortcuts and tips along the way.  The video is also posted at the bottom :)

Also, to kick of this event. Fat Quarter Shop will be offering 20% off all of their layer cakes!!! Go run fast! For three days!


Okay, so here is my Star cakes mini quilt...



I decided to go with Milk, Flower and Sugar from Penny Rose Fabrics. How I adore this line!


A big pile of HST's. 


Some progress photos, make sure you place your half square triangles correctly to get the pinwheel on the inside. I did it wrong and had to unpick lots!


A bit of the detail of my quilting. I have been having more and more fun trying little designs on my quilts and especially minis. I am not perfect, but the more I practice, the better I get. I am pretty proud of myself here. 


And my final mini! Sorry for the poor lighting. It got late before I got the binding down. I am really happy with this mini, it will go in my girl's room. 


A little more quilting detail.


Megan here :)  I also made a Star Cakes Shortcut Quilt Block and turned mine into a pillow!


I used Heather Bailey's Clementine.  I just love her prints, so great!  I kind of pulled the more fall type of colors.


The cool thing about FQS Shortcut Quilts is that first, it's free (yay!) and that she uses the fabrics super smart and it comes together so quick.  This pattern you use layer cakes!


And then you use the pillow to watch Cars for the first time :)

Thanks for stopping by!  Check out our instagram if you want to see more of our sewing madness!
@quiltstory and @quiltstorymeg 

And @fatquartershop


Photobucket

7 comments:

Peta - SheQuiltsAlot said...

They're both gorgeous. Looks like a super fun little pattern too :)

Quiltstory said...

super cute Meg!

Unknown said...

I can't tell from my phone (too lazy to turn the laptop on, ;) - did you hand or machine quilt this? And if you did it by hand, how long did it take you? I def prefer hand quilting because I have more control, but with two kiddos, I don't have the courage to commit to the time! Minis are a great solution, I'm inspired!

Unknown said...

I can't tell from my phone (too lazy to turn the laptop on, ;) - did you hand or machine quilt this? And if you did it by hand, how long did it take you? I def prefer hand quilting because I have more control, but with two kiddos, I don't have the courage to commit to the time! Minis are a great solution, I'm inspired!

Hel Stone said...

Very inventive! I guess this thing might also catch your attention.

Jim Rhodes said...

Can you make a custom quilt for me? I have some cool ideas. Read about them https://eduessayhelper.org/blog/most-beautiful-college-campuses here.

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี said...

Why did you choose to press through? Since it is this useful, please share it with the world.ดูหนังออนไลน์